Terrafugia, which is a Chinese company, is preparing to unleash a vehicle which is called the Transition, and which can turn from a car into an aircraft in less than a minute.
The first flying car in the world is set to go on the market with pre-sales scheduled to start this month. The primary of the two-seat hybrid-electric vehicles, which has the ability to shift between driving and flying modes in just a minute, is going to be delivered to customers next year.
According to a manufacturer from the company, which is actually an ownership of the parent company of Volvo, the vehicle can fly up to 400 miles (640km) at top speeds of about 100 miles per hours, which makes it slower than the most sluggish jet in the world, the Soviet PZL M-15 Belphegor that has been built in order to be utilized on massive farms owned by the state.
Terrafugia also works on a larger craft, which is called the TF-2, a three-part vehicle featuring a pod that can be carried by either a lorry or a strange-looking aircraft with wings, as well as propellers.
The company said that the TF-2 is a three-part integrated transportation system which achieves a new level of comfort, convenience, as well as efficiency. With a detachable pod configuration, passengers and cargo are going to have the ability to travel seamlessly to their final destination.
Also, it will not require an airport for takeoff and landing, and it is going to drive on all roads, as well as highways – providing the convenience of true door-to-door transportations.
The CEO of Terrafugia, Chris Jaran, said:
Developing this new technology allowed us to test a few different mechanisms, as well as generate process improvements along the way. Now, we are at the critical point in which we can actually implement the best design features, based on years of flight, as well as drive testing.
This is also going to improve function, safety, and above all aesthetics for the optimal flying and driving experience.
The key specifications of TF-2 are the following:
- It will have a cruising speed of 200 miles per hour (322km/h), together with a 500-mile (805km) flight range.
- TF-2 is going to have fold-out wings with twin electric motors which are attached to each end.
- These motors actually allow the vehicle to move from a vertical to a horizontal position, and are going to be powered by a 300hp engine.
- The planned four-person TF-X is going to be a semi-autonomous and use computer-controlled so that passengers will have the ability to simply type in a destination before taking off.
- These vehicles will also be capable of automatically avoiding some other air traffic, bad weather, as well as restricted and tower-controlled airspace.
- The TF-2 vehicle is going to have the ability to recharge its batteries either from its engine or by plugging into electric car charging stations.
Featured Image Credit: Freepublic
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM HERE