We all strive for a healthy, glowing and younger looking skin. Happy skin is a reflection of a healthy mind and a healthy body. To achieve this, most of us try a hundred products but sadly, not all the goods show the results as expected. This is because most of them show results which wane away in a while.
Temporary glows and instant brightening creams, we are talking to you. We crave for the kind of healthy skin that stays. What we want is to get a healthy skin from the inside. So how do we go about it? What are the ways to the foolproof health of the skin? Here we have enlisted all the simple tips and home remedies for you to obtain the youthful looking skin.
1. Hydrate Yourself:
This is the most important of all beauty tips for younger-looking skin. Water makes up to around 65% of your body, and depriving yourself of it is a big no-no to fabulous skin.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water to keep your skin hydrated.
- Carry a bottle wherever you go, do not deprive your skin of water.
- Switch to tender coconut water; it is healthier than the aerated drinks that lead to toxic releases in the body, causing breakouts.
2. Eat a Balanced Diet:
Have a healthy meal that includes foods containing omega fatty acids and antioxidants. Increase your intake of pulses and fresh fruits like oranges and watermelons. Vegetables, on the other hand, help to retain your skin’s glow.
3. Skin Care Routine:
Follow a skin-care routine that includes cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. Cleaning gets rid of the gunk, toning handles the pore issues and moisturizing is crucial for the skin texture.
Have a regular exfoliation and cleansing routine. You can do this at home by using yogurt, oatmeal, and rosewater. Stick with natural skin care methods over store bought ones. Spare your skin from the harsh chemicals.
5. Be Sun Safe:
Stay sun safe by using sunscreens. It helps prevent early wrinkles and skin cancer. Use a sunscreen with a high SPF. Re-apply the sunscreen as and when required. Also, use cosmetics that have sun protection factor in them. Unless you are getting photographed, the SPF shouldn’t be a problem.
6. Get Proper Rest:
Get plenty of rest. If you’re tired and your body doesn’t get enough rest, it shows on your skin. Dull and sullen skin’s quickest cure is a deep sleep.
Use a good moisturizer for your skin to help boost your skin’s cell regeneration. For nights, a thick and creamy moisturizer does wonders. Use an under eye gel and pamper the skin under your eyes.
8. Avoid Sulfates:
Sulfates are surfactants in most market-based cleansers; face washes and soaps that strip your skin of natural oils, leaving your skin feeling dry, flaky, and even itchy. Look for products that do not contain parabens, sulfates, and silicones.
9. Quit Smoking:
It leads to wrinkles, pigmentation and bad skin. With the environment already so polluted and creating havoc on your skin, you don’t want self-inflicted skin issues.
10. Be Fit and Healthy:
Exercise regularly for a healthy body and skin. Try yoga, meditation, and deep breathing exercises to keep your nerves calm. Stress is the biggest enemy for good skin.
11. Take Care of Your Makeup Brushes:
Clean your makeup brushes regularly and throw away the old sponges. Brushes filled with old makeup may contain bacteria and causes breakouts. Use baby shampoo and conditioner to clean your brushes. You may use a drop of antiseptic too.
12. Get Help if Needed:
It ‘s nice to visit a dermatologist to discuss your skin problems. Over the counter medication can work only for so long.
13. Use the Right Pillowcase:
Change your pillowcases frequently, cotton pillowcases take away all the moisture from your skin and leave it dry, flaky and causes sleep lines and wrinkles. Try and use silk and satin pillowcases.
14. De-Stress and Relax:
Indulge in mini manicures and pedicures, massages and spas to relax your body and skin.
Home Remedies for Younger Looking Skin:
There are many, time-tested home remedies as well for younger looking skin that you can pick up from your everyday ingredients. Here are ten such quick-fix solutions for that much sought after radiance:
The rich antioxidant properties, together with the presence of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, have enabled honey to be used as a skin nurturing and nourishing ingredient through centuries. It eases inflammation and stimulates cellular regeneration, both of which are essential for youthful skin. The humectant property of this sticky liquid helps in capturing and retaining the much important skin hydration.
- Add two tsp crushed rock salt with 1 tbsp honey and use it an exfoliating agent to scrub off the dead skin cells.
- Add a teaspoon full of pure honey to 30 ml Indian gooseberry juice and consume it every morning to slow down aging.
The relation between Indian women and turmeric goes way back in time. It is an antiseptic, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory agent. It improves the circulation level, fights off infections, clears the blemishes, and thwarts fine lines and wrinkles—in short, using it is inevitable if you want healthy skin. You can also use it in your cooking to nourish your skin from within.
- Mix 1 tsp turmeric powder with 1 tsp honey and a little milk to form a coarse paste. Use it as a scrub on your face and skin daily.
- Ward off the dark circles and puffiness with an eye pack made from ½ tsp turmeric powder and 2 tsp buttermilk.
Oats, when mixed with water, forms a gelatin-like structure due to the presence of polysaccharides. This acts as a protective covering on the skin, preventing the skin from turning dry and flaky. The healthy fat in oatmeal makes it a natural moisturizer. This wonder food is also known to safeguard your skin from the damage caused by the scorching sun. It also possesses natural cleansing and exfoliating properties, to help keep the skin looking younger.
- Prepare an anti-aging pack by mixing 2 tbsp oatmeal with 1 whipped egg yolk and 1 tsp each of olive oil and freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Apply it on your skin and wash off after 20 minutes. Repeat this twice a week to slow down aging.
A soft acidic food, yogurt prevents the skin from losing its natural sheen. A fabulous sunburn healer, this dairy food also helps in lightening dark spots.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder with 1 tsp yogurt gives you an excellent scrub.
- Mix 1 tsp lemon juice with ½ a tsp honey and 1 tsp yogurt to prepare a skin lightening mask. Apply on the face and rinse off after the pack dries to reveal brighter younger skin.
19. Coconut Oil:
A single application of pure coconut oil a day is sufficient to keep the skin soft, supple, and radiant. Apply it and massage gently for 30 minutes before your bath daily to see visible results. You can warm it slightly to enable better absorption by the skin pores. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, an anti-microbial ingredient that helps the oil to act as a deep cleansing and makeup removing agent. This healthy fat contains works as an antioxidant, which means using coconut oil regularly will slow down aging process while safeguarding the skin from free radical damages.
- Exfoliate your dead cells by preparing a scrub with 1 tbsp each of coconut oil and honey with 1 tsp demerara sugar and ½ tsp salt. This can be used as an instant pack to keep the skin hydrated.
Freshly squeezed lemon flush out toxins from your body and helps in keeping the skin free from blemishes and dark spots. The rich presence of potassium and vitamin C enables it to combat free radicals, prevent damages, and maintain the skin young.
- Apply 1 tsp lemon juice on the skin directly to ease wrinkle and dark spots.
- A face mask prepared by mixing honey and lemon juice in equal proportions will alleviate aging signs and retain its youthful look.
21. Bell Peppers:
Bell peppers – red, yellow, and green – all of them are packed with collagen-producing Vitamin C. Along with retaining skin elasticity vitamin C keeps the skin young by preventing oxidative damages. Studies suggest that regular consumption of bell pepper juice has potent anti-aging benefits.
- Remove the flesh of one bell pepper. Blend it with 1 tablespoon each of honey and oatmeal and 1 tsp milk to form a thick paste. Apply it on your face and leave for about 15 minutes before washing off with warm water.
You can even add a few drops of rose water to this mask.
22. Dark Chocolate:
Dark chocolate keeps your skin younger, but it should be free from sugar. The antioxidant-rich cocoa acts as a natural anti-aging agent. The flavonoid and antioxidants safeguard your skin from damages while retaining its suppleness and elasticity. Studies suggest that consuming 2 to 3 ounce of dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa will give you the benefits. Take it as mini dessert during your dinner or munch it to keep off your afternoon boredom.
- Add 2 tbsp of dark, unsweetened cocoa powder to 1 cup brown sugar, ½ cup frozen coconut oil, and 1/3 cup almond oil. Mix until the mixture resembles a coarse paste. Store it and use it as an exfoliating agent whenever you need one.
- Add 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to 1/4 cup honey, 2 tablespoons cream, 3 teaspoon oatmeal, and 5 fresh mashed strawberries. Mix until the mixture resembles a thick, smooth paste. Apply it on your skin and wash off after it dries with lukewarm water for youthful skin. Repeat this twice a week for ideal results.
Coffee may not be your diet friend but has a multitude of benefits for your skin. This powerhouse of antioxidants possesses natural anti-inflammatory properties. It is an exfoliating agent and also helps in retaining skin elasticity and suppleness.
- A chilled coffee decoction with honey and sugar can be used as a daily cleanser.
- Mix 2 tbsp pure coffee powder sans chicory with 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp honey, and a few drops each of milk and coconut oil to prepare a paste. Apply this on your face and wash off after 20 minutes to reveal an energized, younger-looking skin. Use lemon juice in place of honey if your skin is oily.
24. Red Wine:
Last, but not the least is red wine – a beverage which is well known for its anti-aging and anti-oxidative properties. Thanks to the presence of resveratrol, which enables this alcoholic drink to prevent damages triggered by free radicals. Women are allowed up to two glasses of red wine a day to reap its anti-inflammatory and anti-aging benefits.
- Prepare an anti-aging mask by blending 1 cup plain yogurt with 1 tbsp honey and 5 tbsp red wine to a smooth paste. Apply it on cleansed, steamed face with fingertips. Leave aside for 7 to 10 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- A mixture of 1 egg white with 1 tbsp honey and 3 tbsp red wine can be used as a youth-retaining face mask. Apply on cleansed face and wash off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water.
These simple tips will help you on how to get younger looking skin naturally in a couple of weeks. Plus, cleanse your face the right way, exfoliate regularly, and moisturize generously. All the factors will work together and keep your skin look younger and radiant. Remember to take care of yourself, and you’ll see your skin glow.
What are your tips? Shoot a comment and let us know!
Featured image by wikimedia commons
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM HERE