Did you know that the oral health is of utmost importance for the overall health? Taking care of the mouth, teeth, gums, and the oral health, in general, can help prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and bad breath. Also, a healthy mouth helps protect against other medical disorders, such as stroke, heart attack, diabetes, and preterm labor.
On the other hand, poor oral hygiene is detrimental to the overall health, as the mouth can be an infection source if left untreated. There are more than 500 species of bacteria in the mouth which form dental plaque, leading to infections like gingivitis, periodontitis, and trench mouth.
Benefits of using a homemade toothpaste
- It is cheap ( You can make your homemade toothpaste using simple and inexpensive ingredients and still get amazing results)
- You have control over the ingredients ( You can remove plague using safe and all-natural ingredients)
- Chemical-free ( Store-bought toothpaste products are packed with artificial colors, preservatives, chemicals, flavorings, artificial sweeteners and fluoride)
The recipe presented in this article is cheap, yet very effective in removing plaque and helping you regain healthy and pearly teeth. It uses baking soda as a key ingredient, a substance that is considered to be one of the best and most powerful cleaners which can be used in many different ways and for various purposes, including maintaining proper oral hygiene.
Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, is also a potent stain removal and bleaching agent, which is the reason why many people use it for teeth brushing. It also has antibacterial properties and helps to remove microbes and tartar that are often the underlying cause of cavities and bad breath.
- Half cup of Coconut oil
- 1 Tbs. of powdered Xylitol (you can add more to taste)
- 2 – 3 Tbs. Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)
- 10 drops of essential oil (eucalyptus, peppermint, cinnamon or orange – depends on of your taste)
- 4 drops GSE (I use organic NutriBiotic 33% citricidal)
Melt the coconut oil over low heat (you can use a double boiler, putting the coconut oil in a glass container inside a pot of hot water). Remove the melted coconut oil from heat and stir in the baking soda. Add the Xylitol. You should powder it in a blender or coffee grinder into a fine powder so that it quickly dissolves. Add drops of essential oil to your taste and finally, add four drops of GSE. Give the mixture a good stir.
Scoop a small amount of the paste and put it on a wet toothbrush.
At first, it may taste a bit salty, but that’s because of the baking soda. However, you can adjust the taste adding more Xylitol and using different essential oils for taste.
This is a healthy, fluoride-free alternative toothpaste which naturally contains antibacterial properties due to the high lauric acid content of the coconut oil and antibacterial properties of the GSE.
Baking Soda helps to remove plaque, whiten teeth and maintains healthy gums. Baking Soda and Xylitol both, kill acid-loving bacteria in your mouth, responsible for causing cavities. Moreover, recent studies show that Xylitol promotes the growth of tooth-protective, non-acidic bacteria. It also raises mouth pH and encourages mineral-rich saliva that can protect and repair the root layers of tooth enamel.
Additional Tips to maintain a proper oral hygiene
- Eat more spicy foods which stimulate the production of saliva, which naturally neutralizes the oral cavity
- Consider doing oil pulling on a daily basis (you can use coconut or sesame oil)
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM HERE